Monday, April 30, 2007

Grindhouse

I wrote part of this post 9 days ago; I ought to finish it.

Another movie I saw a while ago is Grindhouse, which Cat, Lemming, and I viewed at midnight at the Rialto theatre. For a double feature of campiness like this film, this was absolutely the right way to see the flick (though I was really tired the next day as a result).

I really enjoyed the film -- some of the fake trailers were awesome (I want to see Machete!) -- and the old-school touches like "missing" reels were extremely nice touches.

The format of the film was that of a grindhouse double feature (hence the name). Many of the fake trailers were awesome and most of the others were at least "awesome" (the Nicholas Cage thing was completely random, but it amused me quite a bit), there were "missing reels" at appropriate points (wait, how did that catch on fire? people should be more careful when they're boinking -- that reminds me: the word 'boink' was used in an episode of Buffy we saw last night; I approve!), and it was all a bunch of campy fun.

I actually enjoyed the whole car chasey second film better than the first one (which was a zombie flick with some humerous elemenrs), which surprised me, but a few of the trailers were my favorite parts of the whole thing. Anyway, it was a good time.

Oh, and another good thing about the Rialto was that one can get really good popcorn with real butter. That's always a treat.

I still need to write a review of Hot Fuzz. My reviews have been less thorough and timely for a while. I just haven't been in the mood to write those types of entries lately.

No comments: