Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Baseball History Lesson

We interrupt this dissertation-reading (yuck!) to bring you a lesson in baseball history. Fellow local baseball fanatic Eduardo Lopez just e-mailed me this BBC article exposing baseball's early UK history. However, I actually found out earlier today, as my friend Felicia Gottmann e-mailed me an audio version of this earlier today. In fact, she seems to be trying to break the hearts of all her local American friends (she sent the e-mail to all of us), given how she phrased her e-mail early this afternoon:

"Heard this on radio4 today and just couldn't resist sending it to you guys ?
since I know how much you're looking forward to having a benign grandfather
and a pitbull with lipstick for your next presidents, I thought this would
cheer you up even more. Enjoy! ;o)"


The main part of my response got to the point pretty quickly:

"You're trying to break my heart, aren't you?

Well it won't work because (i) my team now has a 3.5 game lead and (ii) the
Yankees will be staying home this year (finally)!"


I replied to all just in case some of those other folks are Yankee fans. :)

By the way, here are the main lines of the article:

Local historians in Surrey have confirmed evidence that baseball was played
in the UK more than 20 years before American independence.

Major League Baseball, the governing body of the game in the US, has been
informed of the discovery.



I should also point out that the second sentence I quote above is awesome!

Finally, I am presently dealing with a 'slam dunk' grant proposal that just got bounced (I'm pretty pissed off about this, actually), so I really need the Dodgers to be in first place right now. Ah, priorities...

No comments: