Monday, February 02, 2009

Citizens demand more snow!

Apparently, the UK is having its heaviest snowfall in 18 years.

However, I went to grad school at Cornell, and this is nothing compared to what I saw repeatedly every winter over there. It's nice to have snow in my backyard and, amazingly, I am actually have fond nostalgic feelings for Ithaca. That tends to happen when I see snow, because I'd like to be in some real snow for a couple of days every so often just so I can play around in it. I've seen some people work hard to gather up snow for snowball fights, but it still takes some effort to get that going. Our plenary speaker for tomorrow's SIAM Student Chapter Conference may have to cancel, though I hope he'll be able to make it.

Anyway, I've now witnessed the biggest UK snowfall in 18 years and the highest-magnitude UK earthquake in about 25 years, and they are both quite small with respect to my respective experiences in Ithaca and Los Angeles.

Citizens demand more snow! (Note that it has already correctly been pointed out that I'm not a citizen.)

P.S. Yes, it is true that I am itching for a snowball fight. Come get some!

No comments: