Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Scala & The Kolacny Brothers

Kevin Hickerson posted this cover version of "Creep" by Scala & The Kolacny Brothers, which is "a Belgian girls' choir, conducted by Stijn Kolacny and arranged and accompanied by Steven Kolacny on the piano." And they performed the proper version --- i.e., the one that uses the word "fuck" --- rather than the censored version I heard dozens of times at Pax 2007. I don't remember having ever heard of this group before, so I looked them up on iTunes, and they have also covered artists like Depeche Mode (3 times!), Nirvana, and even a certain song by The Divinyls. And, believe me, you haven't truly lived until you have heard a children's choir sing "I Touch Myself." This is admittedly a bit disturbing, but these choir versions of those songs are also awesome (and simultaneously also "awesome"), so I bought some of their music. Sweet! Also, I am highly amused.

This is one of the reasons I like Facebook: It makes it easier to find gems like this.

Update (9/16/11): I think this version of "I Touch Myself" is perhaps slightly more disturbing in music video format, and as my cousin Scott points out, the conductor is all kinds of creepy.

2 comments:

Travis said...

That cover of Creep was used in the trailer for The Social Network. I wasn't interested in seeing the movie (despite the appeal of a Fincher/Sorkin collaboration) until I saw the trailer, in no small part because of the music selection (which made clear what kind of story they were going to tell about the origin of Facebook).

Mason said...

Actually, I assume that's how the group had a huge spurt in popularity. I didn't remember the song from the trailer, but I obviously saw references to that usage in the wikipedia entry. I had and still have no desire to see that movie.