Wednesday, September 07, 2016

RIP Joe Keller (1923–2016)

Joe Keller, one of the greatest applied mathematicians of our time, died today.

By the way, the sentence above doesn't need the word "applied" in it to be accurate, but I retained it to emphasize Keller's perspective on mathematics.

A couple of years ago, when I gave the applied math seminar at Stanford, I was really excited that Joe Keller was in the audience to see it.

(Tip of the cap to Improbable Research for sharing the public Facebook post above.)

Update: And I just remembered that I forgot to include an all-time great quote (which I have been using for many years) by Joe Keller: "Pure mathematics is a branch of applied mathematics."

Update (9/10/16): The Stanford news release has more details about Joe Keller.

No comments: