Thursday, November 28, 2019

My TDA (Topological Data Analysis) Origin Story

Based on what I saw as an undergraduate, I thought that algebraic topology was hopelessly abstract, and then I encountered Konstantin Mischaikow's work when I was a postdoc at Georgia Tech. He was using these ideas to analyze experimental data from areas like fluid mechanics. This stuck in my head, but I didn't work on these topics for many years. However, it stuck in the back of my head for about a decade, as this had made an impression on me. (I was aware of work of some others as well, but this is the one that made an impression, because of the close collaboration with experimentalists.) I was spending a bunch of time on granular networks as well as on generalizing network analysis from graphs to various more complicated structures (and I also had the desire to look more at "higher-order" interactions more generally).

During one of my daily arXiv routines, I noticed a paper by Konstantin and collaborators that used topological data analysis (TDA), so I saw that we were looking at the same systems, but in different ways. I contacted him, visited him early in 2013, and we started a joint TDA project --- but it turned out to be on spreading dynamics on networks, rather than on granular networks. Our first paper (which was led by Dane Taylor and coauthored with many other excellent people, including my Oxford colleague Heather Harrington) was published in final form in Nature Communications in 2015. I viewed this as just one paper; I never intended to start a large new direction in my research program. Back at Oxford, one student saw that I was part of that and wanted to work with Heather and me on applications of TDA. Then more students saw the 2015 paper and what this student was doing, and they wanted to work with us on TDA.

After I moved to UCLA, more students (starting with Michelle Feng) saw that I had some papers on TDA and wanted to work with me on those topics, partly because they wanted to do things with applications but also wanted to continue pursuing more theoretical mathematical subjects as well. I also really like the idea of taking "traditionally pure" areas of mathematics and bringing more and more of them into applications. It's a really exciting thing to do. And the work on applications also yields really great insights into the mathematical theory. (Because it does go in both directions, after all.)

Most recently, at least among people who have officially joined my group, Abby Hickok saw the work that Michelle and I have been doing, and she has ideas for building further on that work. And now TDA (along with work involving the intersection of dynamics, networks, and simplicial complexes) has become an important part of my research program,

Anyway, it was an all an accident.

No comments: