Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Dinner and Lunch at High Table

Last night at dinner, I was dangerously close to presiding, as I was actually the second highest ranking person present. This indicates how much of a low-brow affair it could have become, but just wait until it's my turn to sit in the important (but very uncomfortable-looking chair) and preside. Somerville's grace is short and simple and actually manages not to offend me (which is very hard for any sort of grace to accomplish), but as a matter of principle I do feel compelled to do something other than say grace over at least the first dinner over which I preside. I'm looking for suggestions from the audience. (FYI: Mooning the undergraduates is not one of the viable options that I am considering. I prefer words to deeds anyway.)

After dinner, we went to the SCR as usual. Then a bunch of us young folks went pub crawling for a few hours. It was basically just flicking, from which I have always gained a great deal of pleasure when the company is good. (I'm going to have to get that term into use here. Flicking is reasonably common here, so I'll have to work on teaching them some of my language.)

I had been intending to not stay too long because of all the work I need to do (including marking papers, finishing the design of my lecture course, and so on), but I ended up returning home at 2:00 am (several hours later than intended... such is the way of flicking!). I also had a new addition to the family when I came home (no, I didn't impregnate anyone!): a very cute stuffed rat who I have dubbed Schrödinger (aka Schrödinger the Rat). Some pictures were taken last night, so if/when they're passed on to me, I'll post a link.

After returning home, I knew that I needed to get at least some of my work done, so I stayed up until 3:30 doing that. Then I couldn't fall asleep until 6am, so I feel like crap today. (And I'm the one among last night's crowd who is not hung over. Some benefit, eh?)

At today's lunch at High Table, we had an interesting discussion about what seat placement of people would lead to maximize mixing in terms of sitting with different people on different days. Apparently, there was an old convention of how the table would be filled in (from one particular side to the other) that has fallen into some disuse. One Fellow was wistfully mentioning that, and of course I made my comment about understanding the idea but that people can sit where they want. (Incidentally, the two sides of the table have switched roles in recent years---people who sit in the far side tend to do so to engage in private conversations. People who sit on the near side do the standard fill-in. The near and far sides had reverse roles at some point back in the day, and there was even some chastising on at least one occasion if convention was broken.) Moreover, I stated, I think there are sitting algorithms that would lead to more mixing than the convention because where somebody is in the table is very strongly correlated with what time they usually come in for lunch, which for many people has strong correlations due to lectures, meetings, and other regular commitments. (In fact, I'm almost positive that one can come up with an algorithm that would mix things and now I'm damned curious about how to do this as a math/physics problem. Unfortunately, I'll have to think about this more at some other point rather than now. I still need to prepare a lecture and I have a Vampire game tonight.) This led to a question about convention for convention's sake versus somebody employing whatever they want to achieve the same goal as the convention (assuming that they agree with that goal, which in this case I do). I'm definitely in favor of the latter, though I don't think that that was the most prevalent opinion among the crowd at lunch today. Though a visitor---who turned out to be a physicist---appreciated my using of terms like "energy minimization" for certain things that basically confused everybody else. (I was not trying to use scientific language per se but rather was going for Caltech undergraduate language.)

Anyway, that's it for now. I still owe some blog entries about other things.

2 comments:

Lemming said...

Perhaps some sort of a toast, perhaps similar to the classic:

"Here's to you, and here's to me,
Best of friends, we'll ever be.
But if we should ever disagree,
Fuck you, and here's to me!"

More seriously, something original yet classy would be the best of the best. If it's even possible to do something original and humorous that doesn't offend the sensibilities of the typical grace (out of respect, since the culture there has managed to not offend the sensibilities of you...)... Of course, that may be more trouble than it's worth.

Mason said...

Yeah, I want to do something clever without being offensive (out of respect, as you mention). I'm surprised I came so close to being charge last night while having only been here for 3 months. That's pretty weird and wild stuff.

I forgot to mention that last night's late-night festivities included a toast to me as a surrogate for the queen of Belgium. (Long story, and I already forgot the tradition enough that I won't be able to explain it properly.) Anyway, I was hanging out and having fun with cool people and that's what really counts (the work I was ignoring notwithstanding).