Wednesday, July 30, 2008

It's time to quote Q*Bert.

To quote Q*Bert, my laptop is "@!#?@!"ed.

Disk Warrior could state how it wanted to fix the directory hierarchy (in terms of giving me a preview of what the gloriously correct node structure should look like), but it wasn't able to actually do it. All hardware tests from Disk Profiler and Disk Warrior claim that nothing is wrong, but I just don't believe it at this point. I wiped my harddrive clean (again!), and I couldn't reinstall the OS on it because of an error. Moreover, there are stilling lingering chaotic evil directory structures in there. Bloody Hell!

Anyway, my MacBook Pro has a hot date at the Southampton Apple Store tomorrow. (Sadly, I can't say the same thing for myself.)

So, what should I call my next harddrive? This one was Vecna. Maybe I should go with somebody with a slightly more positive alignment?

Sigh...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kas, of course. (I'm amused that both Kas and Vecna have wikipedia pages, btw. Though they're considering merging Kas into Vecna's page).

I can come up with lots of other ideas, but most work better for the computer than just the hard drive.

Mylanda said...

Loviatar... No reason to be surprised when the next painful, hurtful, and torturous drive failure strikes.

Mason said...

Well, my data is backed up. I just need to reinstall software. Again. Of course, some of the work I wanted to do right now is going to be hard (though I should be able to set up my Caltech campus desktop, which is still sitting in its shipping box, if I really need to--I'd rather borrow a laptop temporarily if I can). I am first going to do some work things that I can readily access and then we'll see. Bah. Oink. Moo.

Hmmm... I have a vague memory of inflicting Loviatar or minions thereof on hapless players many years ago.

Though maybe I should think positive thoughts?