Friday, November 25, 2005

Berkeley Groks

A couple friends of mine from Caltech---Lloydie Charles ("Chuckles") Lee '96 and Pageboy Frank Ling '97---have been hosting a science-comedy radio show on Berkeley radio station KALX 90.7 for a few years. This show, called Berkeley Groks, has been picking up lots of steam, as it was featured among new Podcasts for at least one week (on the "cover" when one selects Podcasts in iTunes) and is now also broadcast on other radio stations. Here is also a recent Berkeley Science Review article about the show.

Frank and Chuckles are now able to get bigshots on the show, including Nobel Laureates and that punk-ass bitch Stephen Wolfram. In the early days, however, they occasionally had to settle for people like me. (Actually, I was on the very low end of their guests even then.) I guest-hosted once during my semester at Berkeley. That was really fun. I heard Charles' fake Scottish accent for the first time in several years---in Lloyd, he was known for that and for his Mask-inspired Airband performance of "Cuban Feet" (complete with green face paint), which you can find here. (That was one of the best Airband skits ever, though I was involved in a couple great ones my Junior and Senior years. My frosh one was really good too, and my sophomore one was decent.) Frank is known for being part of Lower Page and lived in the alley out of which I rotated (rooming with Jimmy Lin? Or was it Larry Chen?). There were some cool people in that alley.

By the way, this message is brought to you by PNAS, the official scientific journal of Berkeley Groks.

No comments: