Friday, November 04, 2005

David Mamet's Romance

A couple days ago, I saw David Mamet's new play. I have bragged about his movie State and Main for years. (It's one of my favorite movies ever. It's bloody hilarious, and it's brand of harsh sarcasm is definitely my thing.) His new play was a farce rather than a satire, and while this play did have Mamet's signature witty one-liners (which is why I loved State and Main), the lower-brow stuff really ditracted from it at times. Mind you, the play was definitely good. But given what I have though of Mamet's previous work, I was hoping for something better. His play Boston Marriage, which I saw at a small lesbian venue in Atlanta (it was a small theatre that apparently specializes in works of that sort), was very funny. This performance (at the Mark Taper) had big names and the other didn't, but Boston Marriage had some seriously hilarious moments. (It's not as good as State and Main either, but very few things are.) I've heard that Heist and Wag the Dog are both excellent, and I am especially looking forward to seeing the latter.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I've seen Wag the Dog. Plot's good. actors are great. I know you'll enjoy it.