Sunday, November 20, 2005

Harry Potter IV

Yesterday afternoon, I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I enjoyed the movie very much, although I liked the previous ones better. Part of it is that I liked the (now dead) actor who used to play Dumbledore much better than the current one. (Apparently, the movie producers aren't high enough level to cast speak with dead, so their contract negotiations remain at an impasse.) Part of it is (probably most of it) has do to with the more-of-the-same syndrome. This is my fourth time through this world rather than the first.

In this film, we get to see a bit more teenage angst, as certain tensions become less subtle than before. (Not that they were overly subtle before, but they seem even less so now.) A cool thing about the first one is thinking that Snape might turn out to be the bad guy (you know, being all prepared for the really creepy guy to also be evil) but then having it be someone else. Now, of course, there is yet another instructor of defense against the dark arts who is causing problems in some way or another. Also, Harry Potter is getting a bit brattier in Vol IV. Gotta love hormones...

Anyway, despite things not being as new as they were before, the movie is still excellent and highly recommended. Once I finish all seven movies, I'm going to go back and read all seven books. For now, I'll work on my written backlog with other material.

No comments: