Thursday, November 10, 2005

Dinner-guesting in Lloyd

Today I was a dinner guest in Lloyd House. It was fun talking to some of the current students. I had communicated with several of them by e-mail in writing up the story on the MIT prank for the Legends book, so matching some names to faces was perhaps the best part. (Additionally, one of my SURF students was a Lloydie, and Alex Sheive was supposedly hanging out in Lower Crotch this evening, as he has apparently been doing a lot lately. Some things never change...) My visit was timed with steak night, which is definitely a key thing to do. A couple of the details were different (and it was really just a couple of the details), but dinner was the same as it's always been.

6 comments:

Linda said...

What MIT prank? Do you have a devilish side, Mason??

Mason said...

The Caltech vs MIT prank from last April is described here. The details behind this prank are being included in the Legends of Caltech book I am co-writing.

Lemming said...

Yarr, steak night. Somehow I doubt the current grill monkey is anyone I know. There was always something satisfying about grilling up eighty-odd pieces of assorted meat (and a few giant mushrooms) every other week. Good for the ol' testosterone levels.

Mason said...

Mmmm...steaks. The day of my visit was influenced by that. (That's why the original date of last Thursday got changed to this Thursday.) I didn't recognize the griller. There are some people I know I've seen around campus plus the people who I mentioned before.

Speaking of colon cancer, I think I'm ready for another Black Angus/Claimjumper, etc. run.

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that Lloyd dinners are the same as ever, even without TFM. I took a walking tour through Lloyd just last weekend to show someone where I used to live, and I was happy to see that all the old paintings are still there, and "Enjoy Crack" has at last been finished. Seeing the gong again brought back fond memories; I wonder who the current scapegoats-- er, Gong Frosh-- are.

Mason said...

Enjoy crack got finished a while ago. I have one of the t-shirts that Lemming made during one of his UCC years.

I heard that Tropic has a recent new mural but I didn't notice it.

The gong is non-RFable as of a couple years ago. (Somebody apparently stole it but didn't return it, so they made the replacement non-RFable.) I think, then, that the Gong Frosh can't get scapegoated as often as they used to. It's actually quite a shame that it can't be RF'ed because Slayer bought the original gong as President precisely for it to be RFable and for Lloyd to have some nice interactions with other Houses. We're going to have a story about the gong in Vol IV and hopefully that can help change this back.