Monday, August 14, 2006

I get my kicks above the waistline.

Last Wednesday, I saw Little Miss Sunshine, which is a good (bordering on very good) comedy about a road trip taken by dysfunctional lower middle-class family. I can totally relate to dysfunctional families, so I very much appreciated the subject matter, though these people definitely experienced things (like a dead relative in the trunk) that I haven't. (That said, my family "beats" them in a few ways.) Unlike in my experience, their road trip actually improved the relations between the family members. It climaxed in a somewhat disturbing scene near the end, which resulted in the little girl Olive being banned from all future child beauty contests in California.



The whole cast was good, but Steve Carrell (a depressed, homosexual academic who tried to commit suicide when his main scientific rival got a MacArthur "Genius Award" instead of him) and (especially!) Alan Arkin (the grandfather) gave masterful performances. This movie is worth seeing for their performances alone. "No one gets left behind! No one gets left behind!"

In terms of the title of this entry, some of you will get it immediately and the rest of you will have no clue. :)

No comments: