Saturday, August 05, 2006

The reputation continues

At some point, I should discuss how I was always the "bad cop" in a certain REU where I used to TA. I'll do that when I have some more time, but let's just say that the people running the REU took good advantage of it (and were popular among a broader class of students than I was) and were actualy quite appreciative of my efforts. (They could always rely on me to slam someone who deserved slamming without having to do it themselves.)

Basically, I react very poorly when I think somebody is trying to bs me. This happened with one of the poster presentations today, and while I tend to ask pointed questions anyway, answers to them that I construe as bs then to result in more critical comments than other responses would get (say, a response to an 'I don't know' or whatever). In the REU, a term called a "Mason moment" was developed to describe this phenomenon. Well, we had one of those moments today and I apparently might have gone a bit overboard, as word spread (just that it happened; not that I did it) of this event. I believe that one of my comments was, "I don't think your advisor did his job."

Here is where I should link to a 'motivational' poster about Charisma.

No comments: