Sunday, March 04, 2007

Blessing in disguise

Yesterday, I bought a new battery (and film) for my camera at Target. I stupidly bought the wrong kind of battery (and I even-more-stupidly opened it because I didn't anticipate a problem and then found that it was too big the hole where it's supposed to go), so I went back to Target this morning to buy another battery (with my $6 completely down the drain). And I checked just in case (even though I checked yesterday as well) and they had Wiis there! Dude! Buying the wrong battery was fortuitious (though opening it was still stupid). I also bought a carrying case and an extra controller. They had enough controllers for me to get my fill, but I decided that for more than two players, people can bring them for now. (And then I went Wii, Wii, Wiiiiiiiiii all the way home.) Maybe I'll see some controllers and Amazon, and then I'll be able to use my remaining gift certificates.



Target did not have any nunchuks, so one question I have is whether Zelda needs those. I want to play Zelda tonight.

I'll set up my Wii later this evening.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Mason.
I'm back in the States, in Alpharetta, working at Metlife doing math. You got a Wii? I'm soooo jealous. I've been looking everywhere for one. Have you had time to set it up and play around with it? How is it?

Mason said...

I went to Peet's for coffee and some pleasure reading. Then I checked briefly at the office. Now I'm home and am going to start setting it up.

Welcome back to the States!

I was looking on Amazon for a while, but I wasn't searching actively -- no camping or paying premiums for me.

I did wait 4 months for the thing, and I normally get the new systems on the day of release. (Actually, I normally pre-order, but I was so busy concentrating on getting a job that I missed the boat this year. My priorities were completely in the wrong place.)

A lady and her two kids were behind me in line, and the mother was ecstatic to find that there were a few more left in the display case. She was buying one for her older kid and had apparently been driving around all over the place to find one. I mentioned that my friends had all camped out to get one but that I preferred just waiting until they were easier to get so I just did my work during the intervening four months. The younger of her kids (who is maybe 4 years old) mentioned that 4 months is a long time. My response was along the lines of "It no longer seems like such a long time after you get older." The mother was amused by my little pearl of wisdom (probably because she agreed on the whole perspective thing to which I was alluding).

Zifnab said...

Think my post got eaten. The standard Wii box comes with a wiimote and nunchuk, so you should be set. (Zelda does require the nunchuk)

Mason said...

Yeah, I saw the nunchuk when I opened gthe box. The guy at the store incorrectly stated that the machine didn't come with any. It's good that it does, though without the second, I can only try one-player boxing. (I have a friend over today, so we're just trying out Wii sports.)