Thursday, March 29, 2007

What happens in Gainesville stays in Gainesville

Tomorrow morning, I am leaving for my first vacation longer than 2 days in more than 4 years. Zifnab, Lanth, and I are leaving tomorrow to visit Doug Elliott (and Ben Williamson, of course!) and Lemming will be joining us on Sunday. There will be baseball on Friday -- my first live spring training game since 1989! There will also be lots of gaming, and in particular I have an RPG itch I'm looking forward to scratching (and I don't mean the type one might get at DragonCon if one isn't careful).

I will be doing some work while I'm gone. I've got a book coming out and e-mails are flying back and forth about that constantly these days. I'll be getting page proofs for a Section IV of the book on Sunday, so I'll need to do that. I also have several work-related e-mails already in my inbox to which I haven't gotten yet. This includes some network-theory references I need to check out and some discussions on how to organize a paper I will be starting soon. Actually, on the academic side, I have two papers currently in progress and two more that are about to officially become in progress. There is a remote possibility that I'll be submitting four papers next month, but two in April and two in May is a bit more likely. I will shortly be getting official word of my students' 2007 SURF projects, so I'll write a post on that when the time comes. I also got a paper (1-epsilon)-accepted today and there are some very minor revisions we'll be doing asap. I also am supposed to receive page proofs for a recently-accepted paper any day now and I have two papers I'm supposed to review (and for which I will be sending my referee reports after I am supposed to).

So, I'll be getting some work done while I'm on vacation, though I expect to concentrate mostly on keeping up with e-mail so that I'm not too far behind on that when I get back. Plus, I have two days of spring training box scores on which I'm behind. But that's pleasure reading. :)

This is a well-deserved vacation, though it's coming at a time when I am busier than usual. Baseball's opening day is imminent (I might be able to finally listen to Vin Scully again tomorrow!), I need to optimize my fantasy team, I still haven't gotten around to blogging about the wedding I attended a few weeks ago, a physics talk I wanted to discuss briefly, the new TMNT movie, or the Caltech women's ping pong team (though at this point I will wait until after Nationals and I'll include what happens there).

No comments: