Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Earthquake (in Britain, of all places)

Last night while I was watching an episode of Angel I felt was seemed like an earthquake, but I figured it was maybe undergrads up to some shenanigans because I didn't expect any local earthquakes. As it turns out, there was a small earthquake (magnitude 4.7). I must admit that it made me feel a little nostalgic. :)

Something that small is no big deal to me, but of course I'm from Southern California, so I am curious what locals think of it.

4 comments:

Zifnab said...

I am curious... did it occur at a thematically appropriate spot in the Angel episode? I can think of a bunch of cases where it would be terribly awesome. :)

Mason said...

You mean like during the episode "Apocalypse Nowish", for example. Indeed, there was a meteoric apocalypse (via that episode) during the local earthquake. It was certainly quite a realistic episode. :)

Zifnab said...

Hah! That was exactly the one I was thinking of that'd be pretty appropriate. :) Nice to know that earthquakes have a good sense of dramatic timing.

Mason said...

Indeed.

As a quick update, it turns out that the quake was actually a 5.2 (which I think makes more sense given that I usually don't notice or hardly notice anything under 5), which makes it the largest earthquake in Great Britain in over 20 years. Bah, they don't know what real earthquakes are like. (The largest one I experienced was the Northridge quake, and I have a distinct memory of tons of books spewing forth from the wall-lined bookshelf in the room in which I slept. The bookshelf covered an entire side of the room, so I'm glad it was 4:xx am and I was in bed rather than looking at books. Incidentally, my reaction to the quake was to go right back to bed.)