Monday, February 25, 2008

Has the world frozen over?

You know what happened today?

I actually received my reimbursement check from Charter, which overcharged me when I cancelled my service effective last October first. (This is separate from the summer fiasco, which sadly never got resolved in my favor.) The stamp on the envelope is dated February 20th, but the check is dated something like October 30th of last year for some reason. (Part of me thinks that the bank is going to insist that the check has expired when I try to deposit this... That would certainly fit in with the Charter motto.)

Other things: Joss Whedon did something rather evil in the credits towards the end of season 6 of Buffy. (I don't want to give spoilers, so I'll leave my comments for private discussions or later blog entries.) Also, the "Supersymmetry" episode of Angel made my heart warm and fuzzy with certain things (like mentioning Ed Witten and Brian Greene by name and referring to them as the Nomar Garciaparra and Sammy Sosa of string theory) but it also annoyed me in numerous respects by getting just about the entire physics and journal publishing atmosphere dead wrong. On a completely separate note, I have some teaching stuff I want to rant about. That will also have to be part of a private conversation.

2 comments:

Lidarose said...

I wish I had your mailman. I found out yesterday that a Christmas card that a former student mailed me, with a gift card enclosed, went astray. It didn't come back to him nor did it reach me. It would be okay with me if it got here a few months late -- better than not at all!

Mason said...

Actually, it isn't the mail service that caused the situation. Rather, Charter didn't actually send this out until February even though the check has an October date. And do you know why that happened? Because Charter is evil. (Almost as evil as my hand.)