Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Coupling Between Coffee Places

Today's barrista at my usual coffee place was the former owner of a coffee place I used to be a regular (and occasionally still go to). Actually, I didn't know until today that he didn't still own that other place, where he often served as barrista. He now owns the current usual coffee place. (Actually, the current one was my usual place first, but then they didn't have ice for several months, so I frequented the other place for a while. This one has better coffee.) It's a bit weird to see a person I associated with one place with another one (and I also felt a bit compelled to explain my coffee switch, although I guess that is just my own insecurity or something).

I have seen a couple of things like this before but not too many. All of the ones that come to mind are in Ithaca. (Naturally, it happened in the smallest town in which I've lived.) There were 3 examples (and arguably a 4th, on one occasion) that come to mind. The one I'll mention is one barrista who worked at one of my regular coffee places, then another one, and then back to the original one. Maybe it's weirder for them to see me as a regular at two different places (in addition to it being weird to see me in the first place).

I hope to wake up in a few minutes. I'm trying to gradually work up my mind to edit my Facebook manuscript some more.

No comments: