Friday, August 15, 2008

Overheard (errr... written) while Manuscript Drafting (aka, Quotes of the Day)

Here is the first quote:

"The history of statistics is replete with measures of association and correlation. Just because a measure has plausibility at face value, ranges from 1 down to 0, and has a known sampling distribution under an extreme null hypothesis of total randomness is no guarantee of its usefulness or interpretability." (David L. Wallace, 1983)

Comment: Amen, Brother!


Here is the second:

"In summary, this paper is fucking long. Therefore, it ought to be published in a mathematics journal because nobody reads those anyway."

Comment: I wrote that one in a recent draft of a paper I am about to submit for publication that is now over 40 journal pages long. Sigh. I should have written "way too fucking long" instead.


There is actually a recent e-mail exchange that I'd also like to post, but I'll have to send that one privately.

No comments: