Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My first PRL!

Yesterday, I finally got a paper accepted by PRL for the first time. Now I can finally say that I'm a real physicist. :)

I had tried several times and came progressively closer each time, and this time we finally got it in. (Actually, it was accepted with flying colors.)

I have mentioned to occasional people (with some colleagues getting offended by it for reasons I can't particularly fathom) that I liken a physicist's first PRL with a little girl's first Barbie doll.


"I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world. Wrapped in plastic, so fantastic!"


Note added later: Hmmm... My use of the English language in this post was a bit "creative." This definitely wasn't a work of art, but I'll leave it as is for posterity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I've made a couple of attempts but those both ended up in PRB Rapids. We're about to start writing up some results either for PRL or Science, either of which would be a first for me.

That reminds me, I should post about our PRB theory paper that just came out.

Mason said...

I have gotten a PRE regular. (Well, technically, I have gotten two of those. But one of them needed massive changes at the proofing stage, and the editors are deciding if it needs to go back for some more reviewing as a result. Stay tuned...) I have never gotten anything in the Rapids section of PRx.

Ironically, my paper has a lot of experimental stuff (although it also includes theory and computation), and it will be really ironic of your first PRL turns out to be a theoretical paper. :)

I haven't gotten anything in Science yet. Hopefully, I can knock that one off (and Nature as well) eventually. I have gotten a PNAS (track 2), but it did follow the 'post Nature and Science' (not to mention the 'probably not accepted to Science') acronym.

Mason said...

Oh wait...the theory paper being mentioned is not the new stuff. Well, it's still cool that you're doing some theory. :)