Sunday, June 18, 2006

Research group wikis

One of the very useful thing to do with wikis is to create group and research-subdiscipline webpages. Here are two examples:

Caltech's Quantum Information wiki has been around since August 2005.

Yesterday, one of my collaborators set up a network theory wiki yesterday. (Well, there was work on the set-up that occurred before yesterday, but it went public yesterday.) We are splitting this into private and public parts. The private part will allow us to share things more easily while we're at remote locations (we have some group meetings by phone nowadays). The public part will hopefully serve as a gateway to scientists to spread cool datasets around, etc. (Right now, everybody has to ask other people privately for their data, so something like this could have a really positive impact.)

We're hardly the first (or even close to the first) to set things up like this, but it seems to me that wiki is really the right way to have a group web page.

3 comments:

Zifnab said...

You should talk to L some about wikis - she uses one extensively for planning and stuff like that and it's pretty cool what you can do with it. I expect she'll see this too and prolly comment, as soon as I finish stealing her computer to burn CD's.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm tempted to fill some of the gaps in the Quantum Information wiki. They've got pages for several Berkeley groups but Clarke isn't one of them...

Mason said...

Zif: Hmmm... when my collaborator was asking if I could point him to something to help write the wiki, it hadn't occurred to me to ask Lorian. Now that you mention this, I vaguely remember her telling me that she has used wiki for this purpose.

Gazebo: You totally should do that. I included that link partly for your benefit. You should also add your site to the quantum bloggers page. (I just added mine, as I had forgotten to do it before.)