Thursday, June 22, 2006

Physics term of the week

I was reading an article in the June 2006 issue of Physics Today and I was reminded of the term Schumtzphysik, which means "dirt physics" or (translating it a little less literally and a little better) "dirty physics." This is the term that Pauli used to describe early solid state physics.

By the way, the word "schmutz" is also the Yiddish word for dirt. I grew up listening to complaints about cleaning up schmutz, which is why certain last names can be amusing. :)

Sometimes it's useful to know a little Yiddish.

2 comments:

Lemming said...

Y'know, Chad's last name is "Schmutze".

Mason said...

I know. I love it. (This is actually why I mentioned the whole name thing in this entry.)

I'd have pointed this out to him, but I'm sure he's well aware of it.