Thursday, July 20, 2006

Is anyone else surprised by this result?

Fresh from the arxiv...


\Paper: physics/0607183
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:19:17 GMT (23kb)

Title: Football: A Naive Approximation to the Effect of Increasing Goal Size on the Number of Goals
Authors: J. Mira
Comments: 4 pages
Subj-class: Physics and Society; Popular Physics
\ The effect of increasing goal mouth size on the number of goals scored in a football match is discussed in a very preliminary and simple way, considering elastic collisions of the ball with the posts. The result is obtained on the basis of data taken from the Spanish Professional League, that show a high number of shots-to-post. Surprisingly, there is a direct correlation of the increase in goal mouth area with the increase of goals.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0607183 , 23kb)
%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%

4 comments:

Lemming said...

Wow, you sure this wasn't published in AIR? ;)

Mason said...

No, but the generalization of this article to oral sex probably will be.

Oh never mind---AIR sometimes rejects articles because they might offend some of their readers. (Not that I would know anything about this...)

By the way, it occurs to me to wonder whether there is some blog out there that mocks my arxiv submissions... turn about is fair play, after all. (Maybe the authors of the paper who claimed in their abstract that their paper was 'a call to arms' are doing the mocking...)

Anonymous said...

"Surprisingly, there is a direct correlation of Catholic beliefs with being the pope."

Mason said...

AG: Exactly.

Some people like to add these words to their abstracts and papers to make readers think that what they're doing is more novel than it actually is.

I remember seeing some authors do this in a paper I refereed. When I noticed them doing that too much, I think I included a list of ten or so researcg groups off the top of my head that had made the same observations years and years ago. :)

Of course, that was much better than the people claiming novelty in a case when the only reason the paper landed on my desk was that somebody did some googling and found that I had done something similar as part of my Ph.D. thesis. That abstract included multiple statements like 'for the first time...' Way to go, guys!