Monday, July 17, 2006

Offices coupled by a thermostat

An explanation for why my office gets bloody hot has finally been found. (I had been wondering why my office was always so much hotter than the hallways, but I had never though to ask...) The thermostat that controls it is in a different office, which is currently occupied by experimentalists with less computer equipment than we have. In fact, my office is pretty much 10 or so degrees hotter than theirs. They had the thermostat set at 72 (and none of us knew that they were controlling my temperature too), so my office was very uncomfortable. The good news is that they are moving upstairs this week and that office will not be occupied for a couple months. The thermostat has already been lowered to something reasonable, and as soon as they move, I am lowering it to its minimum setting. The new residents won't arrive until after the weather is cooler and they will be theorists, so presumably they will have comparable computer equipment in their room and accordingly have a desire to put their thermostat down to a lower temperature.

In the long term, a sort of splitter can be installed, but there has to be a work order to do it, and somebody in the physics department needs to agree to foot the bill for that to happen.

Damn experimentalists.

No comments: