Sunday, December 10, 2006

10 pounds of chocolate and other "impressive" things

The impressive things I want to mention here include two things from today and one from a while ago.

Let's start with the stuff from today.

When I was practicing furing the ping pong club's meeting today (which was surprisingly well-attended...I approve!), I injured myself in a truly impressive way. I was doing my patented sidespin serve and I was doing a particularly fast serve for this particular point. My left hand ended up on the right of my body, and I completely nailed it with my paddle during the follow-through of my serve. Ouch! My knees are also a bit sore from when I was diving for balls during play. (I actually am able to do that successfully on occasion---where "success" means that I get the ball in---but it's a bit painful to dive onto a wooden floor a few times in an hour.) Excuse the awful spelling, but today's pratice also included games between someone named Ja Chi (pronounced like the character from Happy Days and some else names Zha Zha (pronounced kind of like the first name of Ms. Gabor [Eva's sister]). Of course, neither of these two would have a clue about this if I told them, but at least I get to be amused.

The other cool thing from today occurred at Trader Joe's. They have a lot of awesome chocolates anyway, but they've been pulling out all the stops with some funky specials this holiday season. Today, they were selling 10 pound (!) chocolate bars. I was tempted to buy one just to use as a bludgeoning device. (It's not exactly 30,000 pounds of bananas or the largest ball of twine in Minnesota, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.)

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you might remember my mentioning the huge amount of frost in the Caltech condensed matter physics refrigerator. First, there wasn't any room to put anything in the freezer part. Then, one could barely open the that compartment and then not open it at all. Now, there is so much frost that it's seriously impinging on nearby parts of the refrigerator. If things keep progressing like this (which I assume won't happen because the outside parts won't be in a cold enough part of the frig), the frost will eventually hit the refrigerator door. Why do we even have this appliance?

2 comments:

Lemming said...

Living la vida loca, I see:

"My knees are also a bit sore from when I was diving for balls..."

(I mean, come on man -- at least make me work for it.)

Mason said...

However, this one is not close to as good as "My behind has recovered, but my knees are still sore." That may well be my best Housequote ever, although there are quite a few competitors.