Friday, December 15, 2006

Community Structure in the U.S. House of Representatives

My winning entry in the 2006 Nonlinear Science Gallery of Images was published today in Chaos. This appeared in poster form at the 2006 APS March Meeting. My coauthors are A. J. Friend (an undergraduate at Georgia Tech), Peter Mucha, and Mark Newman.

The Nonlinear Science Gallery, in its third year, was inspired by the Gallery of Fluid Mechanics, which has been around for quite a while. In each of the last two years, the stuff in the gallery constituted the most downloaded papers in Chaos, so besides the value of the short article itself (which is basically an extended abstract, so I'm not going to describe it here), this should do wonders for the exposure of this research project. (The project is already reasonably well-known, but every little bit helps.)

My collaborators and I are currently working on doing some revisions of our archival paper before we resubmit it. We are also working on a follow-up paper that uses the work of one of my SURF students as a basis. (Right now, he's doing a couple extra calculations to quantify his findings. A 0th draft of this paper currently exists, but I'm not sure when we're going to have something ready to submit for publication.)

No comments: