Friday, October 21, 2005

Bounty hunters in a Winnebago

I just got back from seeing Domino. It had one of those high standard deviation trailers that looked interesting but which could lead to a movie that was anywhere from spectacular to craptacular. Anyway, I liked the movie quite a bit, although the plot is convoluted/ridiculous. It doesn't take itself too seriously and it has some very nice one-liners and amusing moments to ease the tension. (Among other things, the Jerry Springer scene is key.) It pokes some fun at some things I like to mock, which I also appreciate. Take a look at the IMDB link and observe that it has a couple Beverly Hills 90210 alums playing as themselves. The ferret comment was also key. I recall the nunchucks comment fondly.

I didn't realize this before seeing the movie, but Domino Harvey (supposedly named after Bond girl Domino Derval) was a real person. The film is only loosely based on her life. Anyway, I highly recommend the movie but with a strong caveat that it's not for everybody. (Among other things, prudish people may not wish to apply, but I don't think you needed me to tell you that.)

No comments: