Wednesday, October 12, 2005

A new use for the cosmic microwave background? :)

From the arXiv:


Paper: physics/0510102
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:15:52 GMT (5kb)

Title: Message in the Sky
Authors: S. Hsu and A. Zee
Comments: 3 pages, revtex
Subj-class: Popular Physics
\ We argue that the cosmic microwave background (CMB) provides a stupendous
opportunity for the Creator of our universe (assuming one exists) to have sent
a message to its occupants, using known physics. The medium for the message is
unique. We elaborate on this observation, noting that it requires only careful
adjustment of the fundamental Lagrangian, but no direct intervention in the
subsequent evolution of the universe.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0510102 , 5kb)


I was going to just mock the abstract (or at least do so less mildly), but the paper (based on a cursory glance) actually seems like a thought experiment rather the complete bs I was expecting. (The reason I took the extra look is because the second author is a name I recognize. Not that I shouldn't be taking an extra look to make sure anyway...) The title was going to be "Lagrangian formulation of divine creation" and I was going to ask when we could expect the Hamiltonian one.

I need to track down that other paper I passed around before I started posting stuff...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Presumably the message says "We apologize for the inconvenience."

Mason said...

Heh! Nice reference. :)

Of course, it could just be a message from the dolphins...

Lemming said...

Gazebo FTW!