Sunday, October 16, 2005

Old School Inn in Amherst (but with some modern amenities)

This inn used to be a house (well, really a house + another one or two nearby) and the guest rooms were rooms therein. Stylistically, it's really cool. I don't remember ever having stayed in an inn like this before. Apparently, the home-made breakfast tomorrow is supposed to be really good. (This is more like a bed and breakfast than an inn, but we have the bonus of old-school northeastern architecture.) I am staying in the Peterson room.

As for modern amenities, they have wireless. I totally didn't expect it given the kind of place it is. When one enters the building, one gets one's room "instructions" from a note left at the door (one for each guest who hasn't arrived yet). It's pretty funky. I should look in the house's library. Maybe I'll find a dusty copy of the Necronomicon lurking there? That would really nail the hammer on the head in terms of the ambiance. (This aspect would work better if this were near an Ivy League school, but I can pretend it's the new Miskatonic campus of U Mass or something... :) )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mason, if you find yourself in Boston Wednesday or Thursday night let me know and I'll buy you a drink and introduce you to some real estate people.

Mason said...

My flight back to LA is Wednesday afternoon and I am spending all day the next couple days working with a collaborator, so Boston isn't going to happen this time. I will be in Boston for a conference for a week in July and I will be spending a weekend there with a friend (and probably kooshes thrown at me in the process!) in November.