Wednesday, February 08, 2006

How to design a bathroom in the least ergonomic way possible

This room is kind of funny, although it's got a big bed and wireless, so all the necessities of life are basically here.

The bathroom is placed where I thought there would be a closet (I briefly thought there might not be a bathroom). The toilet is flushed via a button rather than a nob, and the button is on top of the thing rather than to the side (it's right under the platform that extends from where the sink is). The towel racks are all about as far away from the sink as possible and the toilet paper rack is on the opposite side of the room as the toilet. Seriously, who designed this?

Anyway, if I don't wrench my arm out of its socket while I get ready for bed and then when I get ready for the big day tomorrow, I am very much looking forward to the discussions and lab tour during the next couple days. I know a bunch of the people here from before, so I'll get a chance to see what research they're up to nowadays + I'll meet some new people (some of whom have posted arXiv articles I didn't have time to read, so this is my chance to learn about them), so this should be fun. The seminar part is kind of stressful, but the one-on-one conversations (and lab tours!) are the part of a scientific interview where I get to enjoy myself even while the stakes are high.

I'm trying for one of my dream jobs and how many people get that chance.

No comments: