Wednesday, February 08, 2006

This is a new one

I flew via Alaska Airlines for the first time. (It was the most convenient/cheapest flight I saw on Expedia.) When they gave us our food, I noticed that the meal came with a card that said 'Alaska Airlines' and a psalm on it (I mention their logo to highlight that the airline is sponsoring this). I've never seen this before, and it annoyed me. (I made a point to tear up that card and leave it on top of my leftovers.) Have any of you seen this before on an airplane? I'm assuming the owner of the airline is a devote Christian or something and is proselytizing, because I otherwise don't see the purpose of this. Presumably, there's no reason they wouldn't be allowed to do it, but this makes me uncomfortable, so I'm going to be voting with my wallet on this one and choosing other airlines if the price is comparable. (If Alaska Airlines is cheaper, I'll suck up their annoying cards, because of sense of cheapness is pretty acute as well.)

By the way, it occurred to me during the flight that churches should have 'Beware of God' signs in front of them. Maybe the bark is worse than the bite?

I'm tired and hungry. Damn flight delays. I considered ordering food, but I need to get up early tomorrow, so I'm better of being hungry now and eating breakfast (which is unusual for me) tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have flown the following airlines: Alaskan, Hawaiian, Continental, US Air, United, Delta, American, America West, Southwest, Northwest, Midwest Express, Air Canada, British Airways, British Caldenonia, Virgin Atlantic, Swiss Air, KLM, Air France, Lufthansa, Singapore, Quantas, China Air and- prior to their bankruptcies- Pan Am, Eastern and TWA. Never, not once, have I been given a card with a psalm on it or any other relgious verse.

And by the way your post reminds me of the old joke about the society of dyslexic agnostics who convened to discuss the question: "Is there a Dog?"

Mason said...

I did a google search to see what was up with Alaska Airlines, and they have apparently been at this for quite a while. I like this particular blog entry on the topic. A-fucking-men!