Monday, February 20, 2006

What does one get as a wedding gift for a former student?

One of my former research students IMed me about 15 minutes ago to invite me to her wedding. The timing is soon and bad, so I know my chance of being able to go is exponentially small. The question is what would be good to get? I am still hoping that she'll get a Ph.D. (she's good enough to do it), so maybe there's an appropriate popular science book to get or something? (I could get her a quantum mechanics book for whenever she has a kid just to ensure that it will cry copiously.) Any ideas here? This is far beyond my areas of expertise.

I'm not expected to get anything, but of course I am going to.

Anyway, the other reason I'm posting this is to provide proof that some of my students like me (although maybe I'll have to scan the invitation to do that).

9 comments:

Linda said...

Is she registered for gifts anywhere? If so, that'll make buying a gift a lot easier.

Mason said...

That's true, but I only do that stuff when I can't think of something creative.

Anonymous said...

This question reminded me of the famous scene in Bull Durham, the conference at the pitching mound that turns into a discussion of what to get someone as a wedding gifts. The pitching coach says, "Well, um, candlesticks always make a nice gift..." It's one of my favorite scenes in one of my favorte movies.

Lanth said...

Just as a minor PSA, generally, the registry is there to circumvent "creativity."

While there are certainly times when you know a couple well enough to give them something they'll love but never would have thought of registering for (re: PSP), those times are usually outnumbered by the times when you are mostly clueless and get them something they didn't want and never will use (re: crystal cracker tray).

While, technically, it's the thought that counts, and I will think of my wonderful grandparents every time I look at our (unused) crystal cracker tray, I doubt they were hoping I'd think "WTF?"

So in sum, moments of inspired creativity that result in the perfect gift are good, but moments of desperation that result in crystal cracker trays should be avoided by trips to the helpful gift registry.

Mason said...

So I actually came up with a good idea last night and now I can't remember what it is.

Linda said...

What about a gift certificate? Sometimes that's practical (albeit unimaginative). Oh well. I'm not very creative right now. Sorry.

Mason said...

Oh yeah, so Bull Durham is on the list of movies that there's no excuse for the fact that I haven't seen it---especially given the subject matter. I feel justifiably embarrassed that I haven't seen it.

I don't do gift certificates. ('Homey don't play 'dat!', as it were.)

Anonymous said...

Looking at her registry list will give you an idea on what they like, then you can steer away if you wish and get something related but maybe still have a surprising element. Really, it's the thought that counts. -jing

Mason said...

Maybe she'll want the tablecloth with the pentagram? Then again, she voted for Bush...