Sunday, April 16, 2006

After 13 games, still within 1 game of .500

Thus far this season, the Dodgers have been within 1 game of .500 after every one of their 13 games. I doubt this is anywhere close to a record, considering how many possible combinations lead to this result, but this is still pretty curious.

Winning streaks and losing streaks are a bit harder than such mediocrity streaks (only one combination is possible for a given streak of a given size), so I wonder what the record is for the longest one of these.

Oakland won 20 games in a row a few years ago and the 1988 Orioles lost the first 21 games of the season, so with all the ways of being within one game of .500, I'd expect the longest mediocrity streak to be above 20 games in a row.

I sent this question to ESPN's "Useless Info" expert Jayson Stark, so we'll see if it gets answered.

I hope we keep the streak intact tomorrow. I'd like us to get back to .500...

No comments: