Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Back to the Old Grind

As people reading my blog know, I've been hanging out with my old friends in Pasadena since Monday night. It's very easy to slip into one's previous life, especially when one was living centrally in it only 2.5 months ago. I basically haven't been gone long enough to no longer be used to the day-to-day things. (Well, they would retain familiarity no matter how long I've been gone, but since I've barely been gone, it is especially familiar.) I only told a few of my friends that I'm around, and I need to bug some others to see if they're in the area at all for the next couple of weeks.

Having dinner with friends I haven't seen for a couple of months is obviously awesome, and I also appreciate going out to lunch and dinner at some of the restaurants I've missed --- particularly when it comes to types of food that aren't readily available (at least, for which high-quality versions aren't readily available) at Oxford. One example of this is chicken and waffles. Hmmm... it occurs to me that taking Oxford students and faculty dressed in sub-fusc to Roscoe's would be extremely amusing. It would be kind of like senior-frosh breakfast, except with better food. We're going to have to adapt this tradition and make it one of Somerville's own. I'll just have to think of an appropriate place in Oxford to use for this purpose.

A pleasant, unexpected surprise is that Cat is also in town for a few days, which means that the old lunch gang is basically here. Our conversations even picked up right where they last left off! I approve!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bah! How the heck does Roscoe's meet wikipedia's notability standards? Or have those standards loosened up in the past few years?

Any plans for gaming while you're here?

Mason said...

Actually, Roscoe's is reasonably famous nationally. (It's listed in various guidebooks as a restaurant to definitely try while in LA, and so on.) I fully expected them to have a wikipedia entry.

I hope to do some gaming. I haven't discussed any plans for it with anybody, however. Also, because my trip is for 3 weeks, I brought clothing instead of gaming material (aside from my ping pong paddle, because I needed to bring that to get my rubber replaced).