Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Applestoreblogging

That sounds like a disease, doesn't it?

I don't actually have anything seriously wrong with my computer. One of my keycaps split in two, so I just am here to replace it. Of course, the way the store is organized, I need to wait in line for customer support in the hope that I can get a quick free replacement rather than have to pay an overpriced sum to get a new set of keycaps. Fortunately, they have wireless. (Also, I timed my arrival here pretty well.)

On the way here, I saw a license plate that read "MJORTOM" (or maybe it was MAJRTOM, but the I think the first one is correct). Reaction: I approve!

Next stop after here will be Equator Cafe (where I am going to get a Speedball), although I'm tempted to get meat at Goucho Grill first. Mmmmm....pretentious espresso bars. Yum.

Postscript: The Apple Store's wireless was flaky, so I am finishing this entry at Equator (which, by the way, is a very cool place for those of you who have never been here; you enter it from the alley called Mill's Place; it's right next to WokCano). I noticed a sign behind the counter that I hadn't caught before: "If the music is too loud, go to Starbucks." Excellent! They have several other funky signs here as well, like the one where you get can extra balls for what I suppose is bubble tea (I can only read the 'extra balls' and price part of the menu from this part of the place).

Then again, Equator's supposedly free wifi isn't being nice to me and is insisting I pay through whatever service is providing this, so I could always just finish this at home. It's not as cool, but at least you get a nice temporal progression and I have a spiffy new 'return' keycap on my computer. I got to be first in line about 5 minutes before my scheduled time and then there was only one person behind the counter for a while and he spent some of his time hitting on the person next to me, so I got helped almost 30 minutes after my appointment even though things had been promising. I put my time to good use, though, as I read some stuff on espn.com and then worked on a talk for a January conference because maybe I'll have my slides prepared in advance for a change. (In the past couple years, I have developed a bad habit of writing my talks predominantly at the meetings where I am presenting them.)

While reading a quantum information theory paper, I vaguely noticed what I think was my officemate (unless I am seriously mistaken) with five or six women. However, he seemed to be going for quantity rather than quality...

No comments: