Sunday, March 26, 2006

"The great state of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese."

That line, uttered by William H. Macy, is one of the myriad great lines in the excellent movie Thank You For Smoking, which I recommend highly! (That line appeared in the trailer, but there are also a ton of great moments not in the trailer. It was a truly excellent movie.) I'd have to think about whether or not I would rank this higher than V for Vendetta. Both movies are superb, but they're very different and it isn't easy to definitely say which I like better at this point. We'll see what I think about this at the end of the year when I am ranking my films. Certainly, these are the top two from this year.

The lead character, Nick Naylor, is the chief lobbyist for Big Tobacco. Wacky hijinks and awesome satire ensue! I really like biting political and social sature and witticisms and this flick has a bevy of both. Go see it! William H. Macy, playing the senator going after Big Tobacco, was his usual awesome self in the film. I loved his diatribe about "Cancer Boy" not being pathetic enough!

Another awesome line: "Rock on Kennedy!" (in response to Nick Naylor telling his friends in the "Merchants of Death" that he doesn't need any bodyguards). The guy who uttered that was the gun lobbyist, who had a ton of great lines.

Another quote I like: Nick Naylor: "Michael Jordan plays ball. Charlie Manson kills people. I talk."

Here's another: "Jeff has a thing for Asian shit." (casual comment from an assistant of a Hollywood agent as he is showing Nick and his son around on the way to the big wig's office)

And a non sequitar bit of trivia: Keira Knightley turned 21 today.

1 comment:

Lemming said...

I highly recommend this movie--I saw it w/ Mason last night. The whole thing was a blast, and I especially dug the ambiguity of who to root for the entire time.