Sunday, March 05, 2006

Like Mage, only Russian

Tonight, I saw Night Watch with (Mike)^2 and Tim's body.

********Note: There are some spoilers here.**********

It is a very good film, and I recommend it highly. (I think Tim, in particular, wants to see it again.) The movie, based on a book, is slated as the first of a trilogy, and the similarities to The Matrix don't stop there. (The lead character bore a passing visual resemblance to Neo when he was wearing his sunglasses everywhere, and another of the characters bore a visual resemblance to Trinity in her black outfit and sunglasses.)

The IMDB entry doesn't explain all that much, but thankfully the wikipedia entry discusses things in greater depth. The film comes out of Russia and is apparently the first big-budget sci-films from Russia (Mmmm... Russian violence) and was the highest-grossing Russian release ever.

I don't want to spoil too much here, but as far as a modern-day fantasy/sci-far thriller goes, there are clear similarities to Mage. There is something called the "The Gloom" which reminded me a bit of the ethereal plane in D & D, but there was more to it that they only vaguely explained later on in the film. The wikipedia entry discusses this and also highlights some big differences between the book and the film.

There were unfortunately a couple really cheesy moments in the film---the lights going on in the city after a certain person came to peace with herself come immediately to me. (Both (Mike)^2 and I did our versions of groaning aloud at this point. Tim's reaction was pretty much the same here as during the rest of the movie.)

Best (translated) line of the film: "Who's the vampire?" (uttered in a "Who's the girl?" kind of way)

To reiterate past entries: Mmmm... vampires.

8 comments:

Lemming said...

Mason, I'm impressed--you managed to get in a few good jibes at me, but in a way that was entirely subtle and, dare I say, tactful.

For the rest of you--allow me to explain. I was flat, fucking drunk. I vaguely registered the opening of the movie, and a scene later with a bloody guy lying down on a table. Beyond that, nothing.

"Tim's reaction was pretty much the same here as during the rest of the movie." That is to say, "Whoa--those margaritas were strong."

When the movie ended, part of my brain said, "Sounds like ending music. Time to stand up and leave." At least they ya'll didn't have to shake me awake and carry me out of there, right?

Hey, at least I didn't make a scene--apparently M{ike,ason} were worried when I was talking to myself during the "please refrain from talking" blurb.

Mason said...

Lemming: I couldn't resist. :)

Re: Subtlety: I actually make subtle jibes on a number of occasions. In fact, sometimes they're so subtle that nobody notices them.

Re: Tact: It's not that I am purposely not tactful. Rather, it's that I don't change my words for the purpose of being tactful. (Tact just isn't something I value for its own sake.) The chosen mode of expression happened to be tactful here, but the method was chosen for its effectiveness (or at least my opinion of its effectiveness) rather than for its tact.

And yes, both of us were worried about this. I commented on this to Mike after we dropped you off, and he said he was thinking the exact same thing. We thought we might have to take you out of the theatre to avoid bothering other people.

Anonymous said...

this back and forth has been a fun entry to read. -jing.

Zifnab said...

I had been wondering what the context/subtext was to those particular comments, guess now I know. I'll be interested in seeing the movie should Tim want to see it, my scheduling is hell right now though (finals week coming up, only one final but it's infinite time).

Mason said...

One thing I should add is that the movie is pretty violent. This didn't bother me, but I wanted to mention it so you know that in advance.

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting to see this for months. Thankfully, just this week it opened up at the Regent Showcase, a small 1-screen theatre barely a mile from me! Hopefully this week I'll be able to see it.

Anonymous said...

While I was writing that comment, the Babylon 5 episode that introduces the Night Watch was playing, particularly that scene. Freaky.

Mason said...

I think you'll like it very much. As Lemming asked in person, I am wondering if there are English translations of the novels (given how many changes were made)?