Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Sound of Music

Today I saw a performance of The Sound of Music at a small theatre in Glendale. Obviously, I've heard of both the musical and the movie, but I hadn't actually seen either before. In fact, I also knew a decent amount about the musical (both songs and subject matter), and it was nice to fill in another of my cultural gaps. Also, it worked very well in an intimate setting. (Music sounds quite different from Silence, by the way. And I have seen the theatrical version of The Graduate, though not the film.)

Anyway, this musical is about how the famous Von Trapp family found music, although there are also some very serious undertones, especially in the second act. (Hint: The musical takes place in Austria in the late 1930s. And Godwin's Law doesn't apply here, because in this case it's actually relevant.)

Also worth mentioning (and I knew this as well beforehand) is that I knew many of the songs from the musical even without having seen it before. They are quite famous, after all, and I think I am far from the only one who encountered this famous version of "Do Re Mi" in elementary school. (That's probably where I first encountered it, although it wasn't until many years later that I knew where it was from.) "The Lonely Goatherd", the title track, and "My Favorite Things" were other songs I've heard a lot (especially the last of these). I've even heard a couple of the other songs once or twice before, so I've covered a decent chunk of this stuff before without having had the precise context of where they occur in the story.

Anyway, it was a good time. And I even did some curve fitting today.

5 comments:

Zifnab said...

Whoa, curve fitting? That's great, Mason! Was there error analysis involved also?

Mason said...

Nope, no error analysis. No group actions or backside attack either...

I still can't get the function to behave the way I want it (after I used the fit curve). There are some singularities I am having trouble controlling. :)

Lemming said...

"I'm going to phys 3."

There was a theater troupe that I actually used to participate in when I was a kid--MYART, for "Musical Youth Artist Repetoire Theater." I bring it up because The Sound of Music is one of the musicals we performed. Once upon I time, I knew every song in the whole damn thing.

Anyway, *my* favorite song is Edelweiss, hands down. No contest.

Lemming said...

And look, they seem to have a webpage. Check out:
http://www.myart.org/shows/1993-94/93-10-som-nc/index.shtml
http://www.myart.org/shows/1994-95/94-04-oliver-nc/index.shtml
Not many good pictures, especially of the first one, and I'm certainly not in any of those shots... not that I had a major role. I did, however, have bit parts in nearly every scene that required constant running around, minor costume adjustments, makeup changes, etc etc.

Anyway, yeah, sorry about that, just reminiscing.

Mason said...

That isn't my favorite song from it. I tend to like the more upbeat tunes.

I think the quality of the pictures (at least the aspect from getting them online) is forgivable given the times.

I never even took phys 3, and maybe that's why I've always been empty-handed. However, we spent a lot of time studying group actions in math 5 and backside attack in chem 41, so maybe I det get some action (at least group actions, at any rate).